Teradata Express 14.0 for VMware now available
Teradata Corporation is pleased to announce the availability of new Teradata Express versions based on our recently released version 14.0 of the Teradata database. The Teradata Express program is a freely licensed virtual instance of the Teradata database. It is fully functional for evaluation, test and development purposes.
1. What does Teradata Express 14.0 for VMware include?
Teradata Express14.0 for VMware includes the following:
- Teradata Database 14.00.00.01
- Teradata Tools and Utilities 14.0
- Teradata Viewpoint 14.0 (installed, but inactive by default)
- Teradata Studio Express
There are 3 different images available that have different database sizes (4 GB, 40GB, and 1 TB). The images are 64 bit SUSE Linux 10 SP 3. They are configured as a 2 AMP SMP. The username and password are
2. What are the differences between Teradata Express 14.0 for VMware and Teradata Database 14.0?
- Teradata Express 14.0 for VMware is restricted to the 3 different database sizes whereas the production Teradata 14.0 can scale as large as you like. The VM defaults to 1 GB memory.
- All features are enabled, including Columnar Partitioning, Row Level Security, Temporal, etc.
- Learn about all of the new Teradata 14.0 features via Teradata Education Network training.
- There is no upgrade path from previous versions of Teradata Express as is found with Teradata Database. Each new Teradata Express you download is a fresh instance of the database.
- Teradata Express 14.0 for VMware uses underlying host system files for the database storage instead of raw disk partitions.
3. What are the hardware requirements for Teradata Express 14.0 for VMware?
Teradata Express 14.0 for VMware is a Linux version of the Teradata Database and may be hosted on a number of 64-bit platforms including Linux and Windows. Minimum system requirements: x64 CPU, 2 GB memory.
- The images require the following free space for installation:
- 4GB requires 13GB disk space
- 40GB requires 18GB disk space
- 1TB requires 35GB disk space
- To run the Viewpoint tool the following Memory sizes must be allocated to VMware.
- 4GB requires 2.0GB Memory
- 40GB requires 2.5GB Memory
- 1 TB requires 4.0GB Memory
The VMware® web site provides a Processor Check for 64-Bit Compatibility tool. This can be used to verify that the system is 64 bit. You can download the tool here.
There is also a BIOS setting to enable virtualization. Instructions to turn on hardware virtualization in a PC BIOS are specific to OEM models. It is important that after changing the BIOS settings the PC is completely shut down at the power switch before restarting so that the new BIOS settings can take place.
4. What are the software requirements for Teradata Express 14.0 for VMware?
Minimum 64-Bit system requirements:
- Microsoft Windows (XP, 7, Vista)
- Mac OS X. Must use VMware Fusion from VMware. (Not free)
- VMware Player on Windows or Linux hosts
- VMware Workstation on Linux or Windows hosts
- VMware Fusion on Mac OS X
- VMware Workstation and VMware Fusion are licensed products. VMware Player can be freely downloaded here.
5. What other software do I need?
- The VMware image was compressed using 7-zip, which can be downloaded for various platforms here.
- For Mac OS X, we recommend using the Keka tool to unzip.
6. How do I get Teradata Express 14.0 for VMware?
Visit the Teradata Express for VMware download page.